Friday, August 15, 2008

Reconstructing Natalie

I just read Laura Jensen Walker's Reconstructing Natalie, the story of a 27-year old woman with breast cancer.
It's Christian Romance Fiction (usually an ouch of the worst proportions), but this is good. A little over the top at points (Oh my gosh how they get together at the end, and the token black friend), but really good.

Good because you never think about breast cancer. I don't. I'm 22. It's not going to happen to me, at least not yet.

Which is exactly what Natalie thought.

So when her whole life suddenly falls apart, what can she do except do her best to hold it together and then rebuild?

She does both, and admirably. Natalie helps the average person relate. Not that we fully can, because without the deadly disease, nothing ever compares, but Laura and Natalie take you right into the head of a cancer patient.

I picked this up the first time because the author was coming to our store to do a book signing. I'd never done a book signing, so I was really excited when Pippa told me about it.

Then I looked at the schedule. It was the random Saturday that I had off for no apparent reason.

So I went home instead. It was a good weekend, if I remember correctly.

But I read the book anyway. It was good.

Eventually I bought it. And I randomly picked it up the other day. I was really happy I did.

No comments: