Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hello, Darkness

I just finished Hello, Darkness by Sandra Brown.

Yes, take a moment and sing the song.

Ok, now that we've all done that (every time I think of the book, I think of the song).

What I like about this: Well thought out, the twist, the relationships. I like Paris because she's strong and can stand her ground, I like Dean because he's trying to do the right thing, and Sandra shows us his human hang-ups, especially about raising a son. I like Gavin because he's finding his way into being the man his dad wants him to be.

What I don't like: Incest, The Sex Club, the dentist...okay, all the weird sexual perversions.

That said, I really like this book. You do have to be aware of the sexual content, because (a) it's a Sandra Brown novel, and you have to be prepared for that, and (b) it's a murder mystery of a sexual nature.

But did I mention I really like the twist? I spent the whole time (the first time I read it), just following where she pointed me. What, he has the tapes? It must be him! Ooh! Sexual predator! It's him! And then...OH MY GOSH!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S HIM?!? kind of moment.

Although, this time, for the first time, I caught the slip. The moment where you realize who it is, the slip in his language. Never saw it before, and I've read it at least twice before.


No comments: