Sunday, October 5, 2008

Identical

Why I expect any Ellen Hopkins novel to be rather straight forward is absolutely beyond me, at this point.
I know, after reading all of her books, that there's going to be a major twist. And I mean major.

I just finished her latest, Identical, about twin girls who are living in the wake of a brutal crash. We know that someone didn't make it, but we don't know who.

Kaeleigh is "the good girl." She dresses well, doesn't smoke, doesn't sleep around, but is also quiet and keeps to herself. Her only friend is Ian.

Raeanne is "the bad girl." She sleeps around, does drugs, causes trouble, and has no real friends either.

It's what's below the surface of their Normal Rockwell lives that is disturbing.

The truth behind the accident, behind their grandparents, about what goes on behind closed doors with their father.

Ellen Hopkins is not your average writer. Stylistically, she doesn't write like anyone else. Instead of paragraphs, chapters, and the usual, she writes in the form of poetry.

It's something I found appealing from the very beginning.


No comments: