Sunday, October 5, 2008

Breaking Dawn, Part 2

I re-read Breaking Dawn today.

Yes, I started at lunch and finished just now. Yes, I worked for a while in there, and did some homework. I even took a break to eat and count change and a couple other things. But I still read the whole thing today.

Anyway!

I re-read Breaking Dawn today. It's much better the second time around. The first time, you're too busy going, "What do you mean Bella's pregnant? Jacob imprinted on Nessie? And why wasn't the battle scene...well, a battle?"

After letting it marinate for 2 months (hey, I waited to required amount of time. Even 2 extra days. Give me a break), and reading Stephenie Meyer's answers to reader's questions, it was much better.

You just have to suspend belief for a few hours. What's great about some books (the Anita Blake series, for instance), is that you can almost see it actually happening. It's realistic. Even the vampires and were-wolves, you can see how it just might happen (the Sookie Stackhouse books do this really well too).

The problem with kids/young adult books? They ask you to suspend reality more often. So after giving myself to the book, letting my world fall away and replace it with Bella and Edward's world...it was better.

Easier to see happening, easier to believe.

Of course, knowing what happens doesn't hurt.

The week before Breaking Dawn came out, I literally called Mom and said, "I'm worried that Bella and Edward won't end up together. Stephenie wouldn't do that to us, would she?"

Mom laughed. I was serious.

I'm really glad they end up together.

And I laughed out loud when Bella found out about Jacob calling Renemsee "Nessie." It's just too funny that that is what sets her off.

No comments: