Thursday, October 30, 2008

Eloquent Silence

When I can't sleep, I have a bad habit of picking up a book and reading until I can. Tonight I picked up Sandra Brown's Eloquent Silence because it was shorter.

Okay, here's what you need to know. She (Lauri) is teacher for deaf students. He (Drake Rivington, which I thought was awesome) is a (you have to be ready for it) soap star. He also has a daughter (Jennifer) who is deaf. He hires Lauri to move from New York to Arizona to privately tutor Jennifer.

Of course, there's this really strong attraction right from the beginning. Both are widowers. The difference? Drake is still in love with his dead wife, while Lauri was glad (in a non-creepy, non-black widow kind of way) that her husband died (she was sad at first, I swear).

Anyway, as Drake is in New York, filming, Lauri and Jennifer are bonding in Arizona.

Then Drake comes to Arizona. They (of course) become lovers after (many annoying) near misses, and (are you ready?) when her parents (a minister and his wife) show up unexpectedly at the house, Drake tells them (as to save her reputation) that they got married!

Oh my gosh. It all kind of spirals out of control from there. A reporter shows up, and suddenly everyone knows.

And she's mostly okay with it until Jennifer goes through the boxes of the dead wife's things, and Drake flips.

He leaves for New York, and when he come back, they hash it all out.

The best part of this book? The cheesy romance lines. "Drown me in your love, Drake!" (Oh man...so inappropriate...).

I can't even keep going, because the best ones are really, really inappropriate (especially given the context...oh my gosh), and I try to keep this (at least mostly) family friendly.

Anyway, it was fine. Good for an (inappropriate) laugh, but a fine story line too. Characters who were a little annoying, but not overly.

I liked it just fine.



No comments: