Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Charade

Apparently, I'm on a Sandra Brown kick. A new Sandra Brown kick. That's impressive for me.

Okay, just I just finished Charade, a mid-90's Sandra Brown novel.

It starts out detailing the last days of 3 patients who give up their hearts for organ donation, and the first day of a heart recipient. From there it gets odd.

We're following Cat Delaney (who else used Delaney as a last name? And Gannon? I swear, repetition will make me crazy until I figure this one out...), the recipient. She's a soap opera actress before her transplant, and after does a 4 minute piece on a news show to help kids in need of adoption. He is Alex Pierce, ex-cop current writer.

While Alex and Cat are falling in love, she's being stalked by a person who has killed everyone that has had a heart transplant on the day that Kat did. He's killing them to set one heart free.

Okay, so I liked this book. A little slow at first (the first 5 chapters totally threw me...kept going in and out of characters that I didn't see the point to, plus I didn't realize it was a medical drama). After that, when it finally settled into it's rhythm, it was good. Cat is a spitfire, which is always fun (and a redhead...just like Allison from Thursday's Child...hmm...wonder how many redheads Sandra Brown writes about...), and Alex is haunted.

Anyway, they (somehow) figure out a myriad of things, which leads to the big revelation...that I'm not going to give you. Needless to say, I totally forgot about it until they brought it back up.

However, when everyone thought Alex was the killer (of course he's not...it's a Sandra Brown novel. They just have to accuse him to get the heroine alone so the real killer can find her!), I'm sitting here going, "It's not him! You're looking for the lover, it's not him! I don't care what the evidence says, you've got it wrong!"

And!! I was so excited! I knew who it was! Though, at the end, she did throw in a minor twist as to who it could have been, but instead, it was who I though! Yes!!

Anyway, I approve.

No comments: