Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mumbo Gumbo

Jerrilyn Farmer writes a series starring Madeline Bean, a caterer/chef.

Mumbo Gumbo is the 4th (I think) in the series. I, of course, started with the 6th (Perfect Sax), and randomly picked up Mumbo Gumbo. I remembered Perfect Sax as being cute, though not challenging or particularly stellar, but I tried it anyway.

In this one, Mad Bean gets picked up to work on a television series when the head writer goes missing. Not a good idea. Her detective on-again-off-again boyfriend, Honnett, tells her about the weird Wednesday gang murders, when suddenly all the details start falling into place.

Maddie is cute, but kind of annoying. She thinks everything through. About 15 times. Out loud. With everyone. Including people who shouldn't be up on murder investigations.

And how she ends up with the murderer alone? Beyond me. It makes absolutely no sense.

Although, I do like the sheep. Their names, especially.


No comments: