Saturday, September 27, 2008

Digital Fortress

I loved Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, Deception Point, and Angels and Demons. While I was looking for light and fun this trip (sorely disappointed, let me tell you), I took this along for a change of pace.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Written long enough ago to make me laugh at the changes (back when people didn't know what the NSA was...), creepy enough to wonder if the NSA really does read all of our emails...

Anyway, Susan is a cryptographer (I wonder if that's what Dan Brown really does...) with NSA, helping reading people's email, trying to keep America safe from terrorism.

When a bug is loaded into their uber-machine that holds all the state secrets, she's called in to help fix it.

Her fiancee, David, is a language professor, is pulled in by Susan's boss to go find a key, and he goes without telling Susan. When she finds out that he's in serious danger, and thinks he's been killed, it does not go well.

Everything starts going very, very badly. People dying, things exploding, computers exploding, and really bad pick-up lines.

Just when all is almost lost ("Hackers will soon be privy to all state secrets...all of them!!!") they...solve the mystery!

Did you really think they wouldn't?

Anyway, well done.



No comments: