Monday, November 10, 2008

Moby Dick, Part 1

As I recently mentioned on The Sardonic Girl, I've been reading too much trashy pop news and watching too much TV, so in an effort to keep my brain from going to complete literary mush, I'm going to be reading Moby Dick for the next 37 days or so. 20 pages a day. But there's so much, that I may need to talk about it here.

So, part 1. Chapters 1-3. I love what he says about the sea being the thing that keeps him from killing himself. That's interesting. Not to mention that, Ishmael is right. Meditation and water are wedded very close to each other.

The creepy painting in the hallway at the Inn he stays at? The one that's dark and hard to make out what it's supposed to be? Why does that seem like so much foreshadowing to me? Is it?

Also, what does it say that he wanders into a church thinking it's an inn?

Never mind he ends up sharing his bed with a cannibalistic headhunter who is possibly a white man covered in tattoos (did anyone else read Typee?). And! My favorite line! "Better sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian." What the heck does that mean?!?

No comments: