Monday, February 16, 2009

Ella Enchanted

Okay, so part of my idea when I said I was going to read more award winning books was that I was going to read award winning kids books. Because, face it, sometimes you learn more from a kids book than you would than reading Shakespeare.

You think I'm kidding? Read The Missing Piece Meets the Big O by Shel Silverstein, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, or The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster.

Okay, there's my rant on why I love kids books.

Anyway, I have to admit that I saw "Ella Enchanted" when it came out (starring Anne Hathaway), and at some point heard it was a book first (unsurprising, really).

As far I can remember, the movie and the book (the latter written by Gail Carson Levine) are a lot a like. Well, Prince Char (for Charmont in the book, but Charming in the movie) is a lot nicer in the book. In the movie, he's kind of a diva.

Anyway, the book was fun. Ella has glass shoes, a terrible step-family (Hattie is really a terrible sister), can learn any language, and even tame ogres in her spare time. Not to mention runs away from finishing school, and steals Hattie's wig on her way out. Not bad for a girl who is cursed and has to do everything she's told.

Oh, and I did mention that her fairy godmother is her cook? Yeah, but she makes really good food.

The book won a Newbery Honor. I liked it. 3 snowflakes.



No comments: