Sunday, July 20, 2008

What You Hear

So, I've read all of the Odd Thomas novels by Dean Koontz. Well, all except the latest, which I'm having trouble getting through.

I was on Bookgasm, and when the latest came out they read it and blogged about it.

The article wasn't that nice, saying that all the Odd Thomas novels are pretty much the same (which I don't believe), and just the scenery changes.

Sure, Odd goes from Pico Mundo to the monastery to where ever the current book is, but they're not all the same.

But I pick this one up, and it seems...trite. Elvis moved on, now Frank Sinatra is haunting Odd. He goes into town to visit a woman, and he winds up running from the bad guys.

It's not that it's the same. It's that the quirky things that made up the first book, and even most of the second book, are no longer just quirky things. Now, they're the heart and soul of the book.

In the first, it was Odd's love for Stormy. He was writing the book because otherwise, he'd die of despair.

Now I don't know why Odd is supposed to be writing. It's cathartic, maybe?

No comments: