Saturday, July 12, 2008

It's Been A While

Before you start singing the song, let me explain.
The last post was a link off of my other blog, The Sardonic Girl. I was posting about this emo blog I have, and tricked everyone into visiting this one. So much for that.

So, I'm here to review books again. Here's the problem. I re-read books. A lot. So it's not like I'm reading something new every time I read a book.

But this time I did, and it was really...poignant.

I read The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. Iris Lockhart is living her life, and dating a married man when she finds out that her great aunt is being released from a near by asylum. The catch? She never knew she had a great aunt.

The book is sad. It goes back and forth between Esme, Iris, and Kitty (Esme's sister). Esme bounces back and forth between her memories growing up, real time with Iris, and some in the asylum. Iris is confused by the new addition in her life, and is trying to face her childhood sweetheart (and ex-step-brother) Alex. Kitty now has Alzheimer's.

Iris is very easy to follow (once you figure out that she's the one talking), Esme is a little harder because of the bouncing, and Kitty is almost impossible because of the disease.

But the way the story unfolds...it's amazing. Well written, a twist that's almost impossible to see coming until it's revealed, and a sadness so deep it almost radiates from the book.


No comments: