Saturday, July 18, 2009

Full Moon Rising

A while back, I was shopping, and I picked up a book called Destiny Kills. I thought the author was Kay Hooper. And I never even looked twice, just assumed it was a re-release I hadn't read.

Then I got the book home. It was really by Keri Arthur. Don't ask me why my brain didn't register. I have no idea.

So, I've got this book. It looks like it's in the middle of a series, and so it's been sitting on my shelf ever since, waiting for me to read (notice that is not the title of the blog? That's because I still haven't read it).

When I was at the library (not mine) the other day, I saw a third Keri Arthur book. I picked it up. Turns out it's about 7 books into a series. Whoops. So I back tracked through my library, and just finished the first in this series.

Meet Riley Jensen. She's a little special. First of all, she has a twin, Rhoan. He's a pretty great guy. He's a Guardian. Oh, no idea what that is? Well, let me explain a few things then. You see, Riley and Rhoan aren't your average twins. They're half werewolf, half vampire.

In a world that's a lot like Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series, or Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series, it's a pretty well known fact that there are werewolves and vampires. But here, weres are born that way. Vampires are still made.

Anyway, Riley works for Dictorate (not like the Dictorate in "Alias") in Melborne, Australia. Dictorate is basically a seperate police force for nonhumans (supernaturals). Even among nonhumans, Riley and Rhoan are special. Of course, special isn't a good when it comes to genetics.

So, we meet them, and Riley is not a Guardian. She's just a liason. But that's all about to change. One of her two regular boyfriends wants to get her pregnant. And the other boyfriend is just barely on the good side of things.

She's got to fight down clones, half-breeds, and her love life. Which goes especially hairy when she meets Quinn, a vampire that's somewhere around 1200 years old. He's bitter, and lying to himself.

Be warned! This is really violent, and really sexual. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, but not everyone will.

But I really liked it. I really like Riley. She's a spitfire.


No comments: