Sunday, January 4, 2009

Out of Sync

Okay, so I have two confessions to make before I review this book. (1) I love biographies, I just never sit down and read them. I always want to, but if I put them down for any length of time, I rarely want to pick them back up. (2) About 8-10 years ago, when *N SYNC, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, 98 Degrees and the like became famous...I was one of those teeny-boppers who loved them. With a heart filled passion. In every boy band, I had the one that I wanted to sweep me off my feet. With Backstreet Boys, I was a die hard Nick Carter fan.

When it came to *N SYNC, though, I was a little more subtle. I was Lance Bass fan. So when his biography, Out of Sync, came out, I have to admit that I was intrigued. Once I decided to do biographies for my 9909 Challenge, I decided it would be the perfect excuse to read it. So I did today.

It was interesting. It's about his life, a little before *N SYNC, about 1/2 during, a few chapters on the almost-astronaut months, then the breakup of the band and Lance's eventual coming out as gay (of course I liked the gay one...it just makes sense).

Anyway, it was short (under 200 pages). I get the feeling he wrote it himself, and you can tell he's not a writer. I feel a little bit bad about critiquing his work (he is telling his life story, and how would I feel if someone told me it was lacking?), but I wasn't as interested as I could have been. It mostly centered around his feeling of just not being in tune with the rest of the world (though the fact that he had an irregular heart beat would have been a very good metaphor...too bad he had that fixed).

Anyway, I enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't recommend it. Not unless you're a die hard *N SYNC fan, or curious about famous people who have come out as homosexual.


No comments: