Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Apple That Astonished Paris

I don't often sit down and read a book of poetry. I really like to peruse them as I have time.

The trouble is, I hate carrying them around, and therefore never peruse them.

So when I heard that my favorite poet, Billy Collins, had a new book out, I decided to request it. Then I saw another book out that I hadn't read, so I requested that as well. The Apple That Astonished Paris is short, and I'd read some of the poems before. Heck, I memorized one of them for my poetry class.

Anyway, it made me want to read Anna Karenina, just for a moment. I really liked the poems "Cancer", "The Frankenstein Poet", and "The Morning After My Death"

This book is more serious than funny, but I still really enjoyed his poetry. As always.

Plus...he's a man, so this counts as a book written by a man. Score!


No comments: