Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Hunger Games

I know that it seems like everyone has read "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins, especially with the movie coming out, but I hadn't.  I'm kind of on an anti-popular thing.  As in, just because everyone else has read it, doesn't mean I need to.

But, Mom and a friend of mine both read it and recommended it, so I though I try it.  I finished it in one day.  I did enjoy it.  Even texted my mom and friend about how mad I would be if they killed off either of the 2 main characters.

Here's the thing.  It reminds me of "Lord of the Flies"  Which I haven't read, but know the plot line.  And you can't help but feeling for Peeta the entire book.

If you missed it, it's basically about a girl, Katniss, who winds up volunteering to participate in The Hunger Games to save her younger sister.  In The Hunger Games, 24 kids (ages 12-18) are put in a hostile environment where only 1 can survive.  The survivor gets riches, comfort, and glamor, all for the price helping murder 23 other kids.  It's also a tool to keep the citizens both entertained and cowed.  For Katniss, it's just another thing to survive in her hard life.

Yes, she has a hard life, and yes, you feel for the poor girl who's had to survive, but I just cannot understand a government that does that.  This was part of my problem while reading it. 

There are 2 more books in the series, and I'm eager to see what happens.  But before that, I decided to take a break from the politicking to read a few other books.  The first is coming up soon.

But, I enjoyed it.  If you like entertaining books,dystopian novels,  the show "Survivor", or getting a good glimpse into the human psyche, read it.  Even if you don't, you may still like this.

No graphic, but 4 snowflakes.

Note: This book contains violence and major politic maneuvering.

No comments: