Monday, April 13, 2009

Stake That!

Okay, so you know how I have this rabid interest in teen vampire novels?  It comes from reading the Twilight series, the Blue Blood series, and the Vampire Academy  series.

I found a series that makes me change my mind.  It's the Blood Coven series by Mari Mancusi.  I actually read the second one (oops...), called Stake That! today.  It was...a romp through the modern gothic teenagers mind.  And not in a good way.

Rayne and Sunshine are twins.  Rayne is a goth, and all she wants to do is be a vampire.  She spends the first part of the book lamenting about how her twin wound up with everything she wanted (almost becoming a vampire, a vamp blood mate, being vamp queen).  Not only that, but Rayne is somehow elected to become the next slayer (think Buffy, my friends).  And then...well, then it gets complicated.  Like how she's falling in love with a moody, arrogant vampire who's just like her.  Listening to her complain about her daddy issues.  Watching her and the moody vampire.

Oh, and did I mention the whole thing is told through her blogs and then diary?  It's...wow.  Not the best thing I've ever read.  Not the worst, but it's pretty low on the list.  Yikes.

All in all?


No comments: